The Anderson Cemetery was first set apart by James C. Anderson, the original owner of the land for burial purposes for the benefit of himself and his family.
The earliest record we find which mentions the Anderson Cemetery is in a deed by Malcolm M. Anderson and Malvina Anderson his wife of the first part and Henry C. Anderson of the second part for the title to a large tract of land, excepting the cemetery. This deed in part reads as follows:
The N. ½ of Section 11 except one square acre in the North end of the E. ½ of the NW ¼ of said Section 11 where there are already some graves for the purpose of a Grave Yard…..(This deed is recorded in the office of the Recorder of Deeds for Macoupin County, Illinois in Book UU, Page 397).
In 1886, Malcolm M. Anderson and Henry E. Anderson, sons of James C. Anderson for the consideration of $1.00:-
CONVEYED and QUIT CLAIM to Crittenden C. Anderson, Maria C. Adams, Mary Ann Anderson and Wm. E. P. Anderson of the County of Macoupin in the State of Illinois: All interest in and to the undivided 4/7 part of a square acre of land in North end of the E. ½ of the NW. ¼ of Section 11, T. 10, N. R. 7 West of the 3rd P.M., situated in the said County of Macoupin in the State of Illinois; to be used by the grantees and their descendents for burial purposes and for the purposes of keeping in repair and ornamenting same only. The object and purpose of this instrument is that: WHEREAS the above described premises were set apart by James C. Anderson deceased; the original owner of same for cemetery purposes for the benefit of himself and family and the same having been used for burial purposes for several years past and; WHEREAS the grantors and grantees are children and a grandchild of the said James C. Anderson and the title to all of said premises shall be owned, used, enjoyed and controlled in common by all of the children of the said James C. Anderson and their descendants as a family cemetery. (This instrument was dated June 10, 1886; signed by Malcolm M. Anderson and Henry C. Anderson and is filed for record in the office of the Recorder of Deeds for Macoupin County, Illinois on June 12, 1886 in Book DU at Page 495.
The only means we have to determine the exact description and dimensions of the Anderson Cemetery is through a deed to the Chicago & Alton Railroad by the Anderson Heirs for the title to the land which surrounds this cemetery. The deed reads as follows:- (Here listed is a long property description. I do not include it here, but you can get a copy from the Macoupin County Archives in Carlinville.) …This deed is dated March 18, 1918 and recorded in the office of the Recorder of Deeds for Macoupin County, Illinois in Book 291, Page 201.
By the above description we find that the Anderson Cemetery is 98.2 feet on the East and West and 145 feet along the North and South sides.
As this is a private cemetery and deeded to the Anderson heirs, there are no acting trustees.
The Anderson Cemetery is in a convenient location. It is located 2 ½ miles North and 2 ½ East of Carlinville on an improved road, commencing from Route 4, 2 ½ miles North of Carlinville and continuing East past Schoper Mine. It has recently been cleaned off and most of the tombstones are reset and in good condition. The graves are all well filled.
The oldest grave in the Anderson Cemetery is that of Mary Glass, wife of C. H. C. Anderson who died in 1841.
History of Anderson Cemetery
Colonel James C. Anderson, the original owner of the land on which the Anderson Cemetery is located was born in Virginia. He was quite a young man when his father took him from Virginia to the pioneer home in Kentucky. At the age of 13 he left his father’s home and made his own way in the world. He learned the trade of a hatter but did not follow it long as his tastes led him to farming and he settled on a farm in Christian County, Ky. He was an officer in the Regiment of the Kentucky State Militia. Colonel Anderson married Ann Rive Harris. They reared seven children, namely: Crittenden H. C., Maria C., Erasmus S., Augustus E., Malcolm M., Henry C. and Mary A. Colonel Anderson met with fair success in his farming but unfortunately by endorsing notes for his friends he lost all his property and in 1834 came to Illinois to seek a new location. He visited Macoupin County in the month of June and entered a tract of Government land in Section 11, Carlinville Township and then went to Kentucky for his family. On the 12th of the following October with his family he started for their new home. They journeyed there with a pair of oxen, a wagon, two horses and a carriage arriving at their destination in twelve days time. He rented a log house in which the family lived during the winter. In the spring of 1835 he and his family moved into their new home which Colonel Anderson built. Mr. Anderson immediately commenced to improve his land. He also became an extensive trader in live stock; driving cattle overland to the St. Louis market and as far north as Wisconsin and Michigan. In 1846 and again in 1847 he and his son drove 350 head of cattle to Wisconsin. In 1851 an attack of cholera ended his career and this county lost one of its most useful citizens. His wife also died of cholera 12 days after his death.
No name is more intimately associated with the rise and development of Macoupin than that of Crittenden H. C. Anderson, eldest son of Col. James C. Anderson. He was born in Kentucky on January 26, 1819. He arrived in Carlinville in 1834. He entered into buying and selling land and stock with his father. They traveled the country in all directions for long distances for the purpose of buying hogs and cattle. At one time they were offered forty acres of land now in the heart of the city of Chicago for a cow which was declined. In 1855-56, in connection with Wm. H. Rider he erected a three-story building on the East side of the Public Square which was the first three-story building ever erected in the city or county. He operated a Drug Store until 1860 when he retired and again engaged in farming. In 1868 he opened an Abstract and REeal0Estate office which he continued until 1870. In 1870 Mr. Anderson opened a banking house under the name of the Henderson Loan & Real-Estate Association. In 1878 he organized a private bank under the name of the Banking House of C. H. C. Anderson. While Mr. Anderson was more than ordinarily successful as a business man, his financial career met with many obstacles. He witnessed four of the financial panics which swept our country and felt the force of three of them. Crittenden Anderson occupied many positions of trust in the settlement of estates in the capacity of executor, administrator and guardian without his honesty or integrity being questioned. Mr. Anderson was a member of the first City Council of Carlinville upon its organization as a municipality. He was a member of the Carlinville Methodist Episcopal Church and served many years on the Board of Trustees. For 28years he was a devoted member of the Mt. Nebo Lodge #78 and was also a member of the Masonic Fraternity. In his personal habits Mr. Anderson practiced rigid simplicity. He was averse to pushing himself forward in any manner for the purpose of gaining attention or applause; and so regardful was he for the feelings of his friends and clients with whom he came in daily contact that it was his constant aim to refrain from any act which may indicate distinction. He felt that he was only one of a great mass of humanity and it was not wealth or position alone which made the man. As a friend he was loyal, often running the risk of financial embarrassment to himself in order to help a friend or patron in need. Mr. Anderson was originally a Whit, but upon the disruption of that party he became a Democrat. He died January 10, 1890.
Malcolm M. Anderson was born on December 24, 1830. He too became one of the most extensive land holders in the county and had taken a leading part in its agricultural development. He had been very successful as a farmer and possessed 1500 acres of valuable land; 150 acres of which was located in South Otter Township and the remainder in Carlinville Township. He and his family lived very pleasantly surrounded by all the comforts of life and had the satisfaction of knowing that their prosperity was due to their united labors, economy, foresight and good judgment.
Erasmus Anderson was born in 1822. He was a lad of 12 years when the family came to this county. He also took up agriculture and settled on a farm of 260 acres in Section 7, Shaw’s Point Township. He was united in marriage to Mary E. Hogan. He was quite an extensive trader in live stock and Real-Estate and was one of the substantial men of the county. On August 26, 1851 at the age of 29 years Erasmus Anderson died a victim of cholera. His wife preceded him in death on August 15, 1851, dying of the same dreaded disease.
John C. Anderson and Mrs. Effie Anderson Mounts, children of C. H. C. Anderson continued to operate the Banking House of C. H. C. Anderson as well as their many farms until March 1933 when the President of the United States declared a moratorium on all banks through the country. For reasons unknown to the writer this Bank failed to reopen. However through liquidation it has paid out a large percent to those interested.
There remains at present a large number of very fine people who are descendants of this pioneer family. Some are engaged in farming and others at present are employed by the Federal Government and one is a Rear Admiral in the United States Navy.
©1996-2018 ILGenWeb. All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money is asked or paid for any reason is strictly prohibited.