Township, Macoupin County IL
Lat 391837N Long 0900441W
The population for all of
Western Mound Township in 1870 was 891.
Abatement List For 1866 Delinquent List of Tax Payers on
Personal Property Western Mound Township
The towns in Western Mound Township are:
(Reader) Extinct Lat 391820N
Fayette Greene County IL
Bear Rough Point - How It Got Its
Name - Article from Jim Frank
Lat 391837N Long 0900441W
Hagaman was located north of Chesterfield in Section 15 of Western Mound Township. The town was established as the result of the building of the Jacksonville Southeastern Railroad Line.
There was a hotel in the town and quite a few town lots.
Illinois Place Names
HAGAMAN (Macoupin). PO est. 18 July 1882; dis. since 1931; now RFD Chesterfield. Pop. (RM58) 30.
Hagaman is marked on a current plat map.
GENERAL STORE - Family Maintains historic
contributed by Mary Ann Stewart Kaylor
(The following article was extracted in *part* and
HAGAMAN - Time seems to stand still in the old general
store. There's still a hitching post flanking the
weathered wooden porch, a turn-of-the-century meat counter
and products--such as men's stiff shirt collars--that
you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else.
This general store was opened in 1881 and is still owned
by the family of the original proprietor C. C. ROBINSON.
C. C. ROBINSON worked on the railroad. He used three mules
and a scraper to move the dirt. He was paid $1800. and
used it to build the store. "That's what they did then
(railroad companies)--contracted local people every few
miles to help build the railroad" according to his
granddaughter MARY SMITH of Hagaman.
Hagaman had three grocery stores in the early days, two
railroads running four routes each day, a depot, a
warehouse, a town hall, a busy hotel and a church. About
30 or 40 people lived in the town, with a total population
of 93 if the surrounding area is included. Three creeks
provide ample water for the town.
The population today had dwindled to 10 and almost
everything is gone, except the town hall, the church, the
general store and the three creeks.
Merchandise in the store is from the '20s,'30s and '40s
and earlier. Antique horse collars hang on the walls,
udder ointment in its original tin cans. Hit Parade
cigarettes are advertised as well as "vegetable butter
tonic". You will not find electric lights and heat is from
an old wood stove which replaced the original large
The store has a dry goods section where there are
antiquated hats, shoes, long underwear known as union
suits and suspenders. Stiff men's collars are available,
made primarily of some kind of paper material. Most of the
clothing is in its original boxes.
When C. C. ROBINSON died his son J. L. ROBINSON inherited
it, who upon his death gave it to his cousin J. B.
ROBINSON. After the death of J. B., the store closed in
1962. The stock was left in the store with no heat for 13
It was purchased in 1976 by descendants of J. L.- BILL,
and CHARLIE JACOBY. Today it is owned by BOB son of MARY
SMITH. It was reported as a meeting place for neighbors to
visit with lots of stories being told, fights instigated
on Saturday night that would occur on Sunday morning.
The two railroads were Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis;
Litchfield, Carrollton & Wester Train (renamed by
residents as "LOOK, CUSS and WAIT") They were shut down in
early 1940's. It provided an access to Carlinville.
Most famous town story concerns the WRIGHT brothers
(ORVILLE & WILBUR), who are said to have spent two
weeks during two winters trapping and coon hunting in the
area. Story goes that after their visit, they wrote back
asking a number of people to loan them $1,000 as an
investment for an airplane they were working on. Some
people didn't believe this was true.
The general store also housed a post office. The old
postal slots are still in the store. Every few years paint
is thrown on the old store, which doesn't "hold paint too
well". They have also put on a new roof, but no other
changes have been made in the store.
This General Store has been on the NATIONAL HISTORIC
REGISTRY since 1980.
Lat 391820N Long 0900227W
Illinois Place Names:
READER (Macoupin). Listed in RM56 but not 58; PO est. 3 Apr 1888; dis. 15 Oct 1924; RFD Chesterfield. Pop. 20. Named for George W. Reader, PM. Cf. Reeders.
Reader was established close to the Jacksonville Southeastern Railroad Line in Section 13 of Western Mound Township. The town had quite a few town lots.
Reader was located north of Chesterfield and was named after George W Reader.
Reader is marked on a current plat map.
Illinois Place Names:
REEDERS (Macoupin). Listed in RM56 but not 58; RFD Chesterfield. Cf. Reader.
Fayette was located in Greene County but the Post Office at Fayette was used by residents on the western
side of Western Mound Township.
Bear Rough Point
How It Got Its Name - Article from Jim Frank
In Western Mound Township.
An article in the Macoupin County Enquirer, issue dated
March 22, 1893 titled Macoupin's Early Days tell:
"This writer remembers distinctly hearing the old pioneers
relate their dangerous encounters with the bear.
Some three miles north-east of Chesterfield there is a
point of timber running out south of Bear creek, some
three miles into the prairie. In the early days this
was named "Bear-Rough Point" which name it retains to this
day. It was so named on account of the great number
of bears which inhabited the area. We remember
having heard Joseph Hodges (who was a son of Seth Hodges)
relate the facts and circumstances attending the slaughter
of many of these animals by his father and others in
"Bear Rough Point", and it is absolutely certain that this
point as well as Bear creek took their names from the fact
of there being found in their precincts such vast
numbers of this animal."
Townships and Towns Index
©1996-2018 ILGenWeb. All rights reserved.
Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation
unless otherwise assigned.
Any commercial use or any use for which money
is asked or paid for any reason is strictly